Make this vegetarian-friendly Asparagus Quiche for brunch!
- 1 hr 10 mins + refrigeration
FOR THE SHORTCRUST PASTRY
- 500ml cake flour, sifted
- 125g cold butter, cubed
- pinch salt
- 15-30ml ice-cold water
FOR THE FILLING
- 200g asparagus
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 125ml milk
- 125ml cream
- 60ml pecorino, finely grated
- green salad, to serve
- For the pastry, rub the flour and butter together using your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add salt and just enough water to bring the mixture together, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry on a flour-dusted surface to a 5cm-thick circle. Transfer the pastry to a greased 28cm quiche tin and return to the fridge for 15 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Cover the pastry with scrunched baking paper, followed by baking beans, and bake blind for 20 minutes. Remove paper and beans.
- Blanch the asparagus in boiling water for 3 minutes and refresh in ice-cold water. Chop most of the asparagus, reserving 5.
- Combine the remaining filling ingredients and asparagus, season and pour into the prepared pastry case. Top with whole asparagus and bake for about 30 minutes or until the filling is set and golden. Cool and serve with salad.
Magazine issue date: May, 2016
Welcome to the Your Family online community! Please tell us more about yourself so we can ensure we’re creating content that meets your needs. Click here to take the quick, anonymous Digital Industry Survey.