Crunch time gets delicious with this decadent caramel crunch sundae!
- 1 hr 20 mins + freezing and cooling
- 2L vanilla ice cream
- 360g tin caramel treat (optional)
FOR THE CARAMEL POPCORN
- 100g butter
- 250ml brown sugar
- 60ml liquid glucose
- 3ml salt
- pinch bicarbonate of soda
- 5ml vanilla essence
- 100ml popcorn kernels
FOR THE SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE
- 250ml cream
- 50g butter
- 375ml sugar
- 180ml water
- 3ml sea salt flakes
- 100g pecan nuts
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and allow to soften but not melt, for about 20 minutes. Spoon dollops of the caramel treat through, if using. Freeze until hard.
- For the caramel popcorn, melt the butter on medium-high. Add sugar and glucose, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes or until golden brown, shaking the saucepan occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in salt, bicarb and vanilla. Be careful as the mixture will bubble.
- Pop the kernels according to packet instructions. Measure out 5 cups of popcorn and stir through the caramel sauce until evenly coated. Spread out on a baking tray in an even layer and leave to harden. Break up the caramel popcorn.
- For the caramel sauce, bring the cream and butter to a boil on medium. Keep warm.
- Heat the sugar and water on low, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Increase heat, bring to a boil and cook for about 12 minutes, without stirring, until a deep golden-brown caramel forms.
- Remove caramel from heat and, working quickly, add the salt and cream mixture, whisking to combine. Return to the heat and cook for about 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Cool.
- Spoon layers of the ice cream, nuts and sauce into glasses and top with the popcorn.
Save time by buying caramel popcorn instead of making your own.
Magazine issue date: April, 2016
Welcome to the Your Family online community! Please tell us more about yourself so we can ensure we’re creating content that meets your needs. Click here to take the quick, anonymous Digital Industry Survey.