For real – cheeseburger soup! The kids will love you for it.
- Takes 45 mins
- Serves 6-8
- 2 hamburger buns, cubed
- olive oil, for frying
- 500g beef mince
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1.5L chicken or beef stock
- 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 45ml butter
- 60ml cake flour
- 375ml milk
- 500ml Cheddar, grated + extra
- handful parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place bread cubes in a single layer on a baking tray, sprinkle with oil and bake for about 10 minutes or until crisp. Set aside.
- Heat a splash of oil on high and fry the mince for about 8 minutes or until browned. Set aside.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots and celery and sauté. Add the stock, potatoes and mince and bring to a boil. Cook for about 20 minutes with the lid on until tender.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan on medium-high until melted. Add the flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Remove from heat and slowly add the milk, while stirring until smooth. Add to the soup and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring for 3 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Stir in the cheese and parsley until melted. Serve sprinkled with extra cheese and the croutons.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: June, 2017