Serve this comforting and heart-healthy Peter Pumpkin Eater Pasta dish as a main dish.
- 1 hr
- 500g pumpkin cubes
- olive or avocado oil, for drizzling
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 125g sour cream
- 1 chilli, chopped
- 300g spaghetti
- 250g diced bacon
- 250g mushrooms (see note)
- olive or avocado oil, for cooking
- 250g halloumi, cubed
- juice of 1 lemon
- 60ml pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place pumpkin on a baking tray, drizzle with oil and season. Roast for about 30 minutes or until golden. Mash together the pumpkin, garlic, sour cream and chilli. Season.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in salted boiling water for about 8 minutes or until al dente. Drain, reserving 125ml of the cooking liquid.
- Dry-fry the bacon on medium-high for about 8 minutes or until crisp. Add the mushrooms and fry for 3 minutes. Remove and keep warm.
- Heat a splash of oil on medium-high (in the same pan) and fry the halloumi for about 5 minutes or until golden all over. Squeeze lemon juice over.
- Heat the pasta with the reserved cooking liquid and pumpkin sauce. Sprinkle halloumi, bacon mixture and seeds over.
NOTE: We used exotic mushrooms, but you can use sliced button mushrooms too.
Magazine issue date: February, 2016
Welcome to the Your Family online community! Please tell us more about yourself so we can ensure we’re creating content that meets your needs. Click here to take the quick, anonymous Digital Industry Survey.