Make these easy sewn baby shoes for your little man in a jiffy!
- 1 x 6-cord pack elastic
- 0.3m x 110cm wide main fabric
- 0.3m x 110cm wide lining
- Iron-on interfacing
TO FIT: 3 – 6 months
NOTE: All seams are 0.5cm
BABY BOY SEWN SHOES
- Download the baby boy sewn shoes template. DOWNLAOD PDF
- Fold main fabric in half with right sides facing, pin the sole, shoe back (heel) and shoe top pattern pieces to the fabric and cut out as directed. Fold lining in half with right sides facing, pin sole, toe piece and shoe back (heel) pattern pieces to the fabric and cut out as directed. Iron
on interfacing to other pieces and cut out.
- With right sides facing, sew heel pieces along top edge. Press, fold right sides out and press. Measure 0.5cm from the top edge and sew a line of stitching as a casing for the elastic. Thread the elastic through the casing so you have 1cm sticking out each side. Pin.
- With right sides of the shoe top piece facing, sew the seam opposite the fold. Turn right side out and press. Work a line of sewing 0.5cm from the fold. Thread through the elastic as before and pin in place.
- With wrong sides of toe piece facing, pin to shoe top with an overlap of 1mm and sew. Fold in the darts on the toe piece of the shoe and pin in place. Place sole pieces wrong sides together and fold at the heel to find the centre. Fold the shoe back in half crosswise and mark with a pin. Starting at this centre point, pin the shoe back in place.
- Mark the centre of the sole front and the shoe upper and pin in place. The shoe upper will be on the outside. Gently gather the shoe back and shoe top elastic for a firm fit. Pin in place.
- With right sides facing, sew the shoe upper to the sole, starting at the shoe back (heel). When you
have completed this seam, sew in all loose threads. Turn right side out. Sew the side seams, joining the shoe upper to the shoe back (heel). Repeat for the other shoe.
Magazine issue date: April, 2016