Add some charm to your Christmas tree with these beautiful crocheted baubles.
- old baubles (ours were 5cm in size. You can use larger ones – simply upsize the cover, see tip below)
- 4mm crochet hook
- DK yarn in 4 different colours
ch – chain; dc – double crochet; sl st – slip stitch; tr – treble crochet; yo – yarn over
- Make a slip knot and ch 4. Close with a sl st.
- Round 1: ch3, and work 15 more tr into the ring. Join with a sl st. Fasten off. [16sts]
- Round 2: join new colour in any st and pull through a strand. Ch 1 to secure. Puff st: pull loop on hook
a little looser and yo. Insert hook into same st, yo and draw it back through the st (3 loops on hook).
Yo again, and draw through another loop (5 loops on hook). Yo and draw through all 5 loops (1 loop on hook). Ch 1. Repeat puff st and single ch 15 more times. [32 sts] Fasten off.
- Round 3: join new colour in any ch space from round 2 and pull through a strand. Ch3 and 1tr into same space. 2tr into each ch space from round 2, 15 more times. [32sts]. Fasten off.
- Round 4: join new colour in any st, ch to secure. Dc into each st to complete round. Fasten off. You
now have a half bauble cover. Make another half cover, but don’t fasten off after round 4. Keep a working
yarn in your 4th colour.
- Place the two rounds together, wrong sides facing, and beginning with your working yarn, join together by working dc into the back loops of the edges of both halves. Once you’re half to two-thirds of the way around, insert the bauble and continue working to close, until only the crown sticks out. Fasten off. Tuck in threads.
Upsizing guide: If the baubles you want to cover are larger, continue working more rounds in dc or tr st, until one side roughly covers half the surface of your bauble. Don’t worry if it seems a little loose, you’ll take up any slack when joining the two halves.
Magazine issue date: December, 2017