Growing herbs indoors has never been easier than with this DIY rustic herb ‘hothouse’ station!
- 3 x 2L plastic bottles
- 3 x terracotta pots (take your 2L plastic bottle to ensure it fits)
- 1 x terracotta base
- chalk paint
- wax (we used clear Harlequin furniture finishing wax)
- old rag
- wooden tags
- permanent marker
- potting soil
- herb seedlings of your choice
- Paint the terracotta pots and base with chalk paint and allow to dry for about 30 minutes. You’re going for a weathered look so don’t worry about being too precise with the strokes. We painted a bit on the inside too.
- Using the rag, wax the pots and the base (inside and out). Allow to dry for about an hour.
- Plant your seedlings and water them lightly.
- Rinse plastic bottle, peel off label and scrub off glue residue. Cut the bottles in half. Place the bottle over the seedling and into the pot.
- Write the name of your herb onto the wooden label, thread the twine through and tie around the bottle tops.
- Place in a sunny area and enjoy!
Magazine issue date: Jul, 2018