You will need:
- 2 x continental pillowcases
- 1 x continental pillow inner
- 2 x 60cm zips
- 75cm square of batting in a thickness of your choice
- sewing machine
- zipper foot
- thread to match
- felt scraps in colours of your choice
- embroidery thread to match
- appliqué paper
- fabric marker
Tip: If you’re not sure how to use appliqué paper there are many quick tutorials available online.CLICK TO DOWNLOAD LETTERING TEMPLATE
- Carefully fit the square of batting inside one of the pillowcases. Secure with pins or clips to avoid
- Using a stitch of your choice, quilt the entire pillowcase. (To do this we first drew a diagonal line from
one corner of the pillowcase to the other as a starting point, stitched along that line and then continued
stitching leaving 4cm and 8cm spaces between stitch lines.)
- Fold over 15cm of one end of the quilted pillowcase and mark the fold line with a fabric marker.
- Print out the letters needed, trace them out and apply to the appliqué paper. Iron the letters onto the pillowcase where you would like them to be and use the embroidery thread to backstitch over the felt lettering to secure.
- Insert the zips into two sides of the pillowcases so that it joins the two pillowcases together,
making sure to sandwich in the folded edge of the pillowcase that has the quilting and lettering. Turn inside out and sew down the bottom edge of the pillowcases.
- Insert the pillow inner into the bottom case and you’re done!
Magazine issue date: Jan, 2017