Enjoy your Christmas countdown with a vintage-style fabric advent calendar.
You will need
- 50cm x 70cm piece linen + 24 pockets 8cm x 9cm fabric scraps in
stripes, checks and dots
- ribbon and braid remnants in your chosen colours
- 2 x 50cm dowel sticks (10mm in diameter)
- matching cotton
- embroidery cotton and needle
- 1m leather thong, shoelace or ribbon, for hanging
- fabric glue
To make the fabric advent calendar
- Trim the vertical edges of the large rectangle by 1cm each side (we used linen, which frays with a nice effect). Cut out the pockets and pin in rows of 5 across. We trimmed the top of each pocket with pinking shears to prevent fraying threads (optional).
- Sew a 2.5cm hem across the bottom and top of the rectangle for the dowels.
- Pin decorations onto each pocket using hand-drawn or online templates. Cut numbers from felt or embroider numbers on at random. Use fabric glue to stick on the decorations.
- Sew the sides and bottom of each pocket closed. Fray the edges if desired.
- Slide in the dowel sticks and tie the leather thong onto the protruding ends of the top dowel. Fill the pockets with festive treats.
For more fun advent calendars, see:
Magazine issue date: Dec, 2011