Make these guardian angels for an African festive touch.
Add some fun African flair to your Christmas decorating with these shweshwe and felt-clad guardian angels.
You will need
- ping pong balls or large beads for heads
- craft glue
- wool for the hair
- white felt
- shweshwe fabric
- needle and thread
- beads for accessories
- pipe cleaners
- dowel sticks
- A4 cardboard
- Glue the ping pong ball onto a short length of dowel thick, enough for the doll to stand.
- Outline the hairline around the head. Glue on the wool to create the hairstyle of your choice.
- Cover the pipe cleaner with twine. Measure the first arm, wrap the pipe cleaner once around neck area, leaving enough for the second arm.
- Cut the shweshwe fabric into a rectangle. Sew together the width/shorter sides. Tack the longer sides with a loose stitch, gather pull together and tighten around neck area.
- Cut felt into a rectangle that will fit around the body and make holes for arms. Dress your doll.
- Using a marker, draw the face. Use beads to accessorise your doll.
- Cut paper into wing shapes and glue onto the back of your doll.
For more African-inspired festive ideas, try:
Magazine issue date: December, 2015