Make a statement with this stylish and simple nude leather tassel clutch bag.
You will need
- 30cm x 60cm thin leather or similar
- 30cm x 60cm matching lining
- magic tape/bobby pins
- craft glue
- 30cm x 50cm heavy-duty interfacing
- matching thread
- magnetic button
- gold wire for tassel
- Pattern pieces (see download button below)
- Downlaod the template. Download PDF
- Print out pattern and tile together pieces. Tape leather to pattern pieces and cut
out. Cut out lining and interfacing as marked (cut interfacing with shiny side down). Iron interfacing to wrong side of leather for bag and gussets, positioning so there is a 1cm border
on all sides. Fold leather over the interfacing on all sides and glue into place, mitring corners neatly. (If extra stiffening is required, paint fabric stiffener onto interfacing side and allow to dry). Press a 1cm hem on lining pieces, and tack. Position lining right side facing up onto wrong side of leather. Magic tape carefully in place, or use bobby pins. Machine sew all around bag edges,
leaving the top of the flap open for positioning the magnetic button. (Make sure the pieces can’t move as there’s no going back once the needle has pierced the leather.) Complete each gusset in the same way (with no interfacing).
- Fix the magnetic button. In position A on the pattern, make two small slits in the final position for the prongs to fit into, only through the leather, not the lining. Place the female button end, pushing the prongs through the slits. Place the washer on the other side of the leather (in between leather and lining) and fold the prongs outward so they lie flat and hold the washer in place. Now position the male end at B, doublechecking the positioning carefully. The male end of the magnetic button must go through the lining only, not the leather. Reinforce the lining at this site with a small square of interfacing, so the lining doesn’t rip over time. Fold the prongs around
the washer, making sure to fold them flat.
- Make sure lining is neatly aligned along the edge of the flap using magic tape, then sew the top flap closed.
- Hand-sew the gussets into place, lining up the flat top of the gusset with the front flap of the bag. Use a thimble to protect your fingers and keep your hand stitches in the machine stitching line so they aren’t noticeable.
- To make the tassel, cut slits in the rectangle as shown on pattern. Working flat, with wrong side facing up, apply a thin layer of glue in the uncut centre band. Starting at one side, roll up slowly and tightly, then secure with a small piece of tape. Let the glue dry completely. Fold tassel in half and secure around the top with some gold craft wire, embroidery thread of other binding of your choice. Sew securely onto the front of the bag.
Magazine issue date: Aug, 2014