Sew a ribbon-strip tree cushion and present it as a festive decor piece.
What you need
- mixed ribbons in colours of choice
- plain rectangular cushion
- brown ribbon
- fabric glue
- ice cream sticks, skewers or toothpicks
- Cut your ribbons into lengths from long to short, to form little ‘stacked’ Christmas trees, keeping in mind you’ll turn back the ends to neaten the ribbon. Remove the cushion inner and lay your strips onto the cover to plan your design.
- Cut 3 brown strips of brown ribbon, for the trunks.
- Using fabric glue, turn back the ends of the ribbon and glue each strip onto the cushion. This is tricky and messy, and you might need to use ice-cream sticks, skewers or toothpicks to apply the glue. Use pins to secure the ribbon in place initially.
- After the glue is partially dry, place plain paper and something heavy on top of the cushion case to press the ribbon down firmly. Allow to dry for 24 hours then insert the inner.
Magazine issue date: Dec, 2012