Sometimes kids’feelings overwhelm them and as a parent, it’s just a LOT to deal with. What you say can help support your child through their emotions – here’s our list.
- Mommy can see that you are upset – come tell me what’s bothering you.
- It’s OK to feel sad.
- I can see this isn’t easy for you. May I come and sit with you for a while?
- I’m here for you and I love you very much.
- I’m listening to you.
- I hear you.
- I know it doesn’t feel fair.
- Wow, that was really upsetting/ sad/ scary/ unfair, etc.
- I hear that you need some space. I’m right around the corner when you’re ready – I want to be there for you.
- Shall we try to figure it out together? I will always help you where I can.
FEATURE: JONI VAN DER MERWE AND IMAGE: FOTOLIA.COM