With more parents taking on more responsibility with work and home duties, it may seem daunting to run a functional and steady home.
- Eat well – if you see ‘food as medicine’ in the first place, a healthy diet should reduce visits to the doctor and keep them well energised for their demanding school and sporting activities.
- Sleep well – set appropriate bedtimes for young and old children (and yourself!), especially during the week. That late-night movie will do you no good tomorrow!
- Manage your time well, and teach kids how to as well. This reduces stress – exactly what both kids and parents need less of!
- Take time to play, with and without the kids. Plan those weekends away. Having them to look forward to will spur you on through the tough times.
- Encourage kids to be involved in a range of activities. Being involved in a few things at school will help them stay balanced and gain confidence in their various abilities. Likewise for you and your spouse – interests out of work, school and your relationship will help keep perspective on life!