If the kids are in a funk, try some of these fun strategies to redirect their moods!
- Go for a walk or go exploring outdoors. Fresh air does wonders for children and they love to explore their
environment. Send them on a scavenger hunt by giving them a list of items to find – like a big leaf, a flower, a pine cone, a seed pod – and use the items to make some ‘natural’ artwork when you get home.
- Dance together to their favourite music – it stimulates the pleasure and reward areas in the orbitofrontal cortex.
- Play imaginative games together. Playing dress-up or creating other imaginary games is not only good
for brain development, it’s a great way to share quality time together and bond with your child.
- Take time out and listen. Is something bothering them? We’re often too busy to take the time to really
connect and listen to our kids. Take them to their favourite restaurant for a drink and see what could be causing their off mood.
- Give them a big hug. Hugging releases oxytocin, the happy hormone, which makes us feel loved and bonded.