Keeping kids under the age of five entertained during long-haul flights can be quite daunting, especially when fellow passengers are staring in irritation.
Here are a few tips and tricks to make you and your kids’ flying experience easier:
- Pack a ‘busy bag’ together and let them choose a few of their favourite toys and activities for the
flight. Entertaining options might include pattern blocks and sticker or colouring books – make
sure they don’t have sounds so you don’t irritate fellow passengers.
- Make little presents equivalent to the time period you’ll be flying and give them a gift every now and
again during the flight. Examples include fun things such as miniature dolls and cars.
- Download their favourite movies/educational apps to watch on an iPad. Movies, as opposed to a song playlist, will keep them occupied for longer. But don’t forget the earphones or you’ll have many unhappy
faces staring in your direction due to the noise.
- Gel window clings can be fun for long distance flying. Take along a variety of shapes and colours and let your toddler create art on the window.
- Prepare nutritious snacks that’ll keep their tummies full, like star-shaped sandwiches, raisins, pretzels or rice cakes.
COMPILED BY NOLWAZI DHLAMINI PHOTOS: FOTOLIA.COM