Here are a few things you can do to make sure you always get the most out of your home and vehicle insurance cover, says Philippa Wild from Discovery Insure…
- Check that the information you provide upfront is accurate: It’s very important to make sure you give all your information correctly for your insurance quote, as any inaccuracies might later impact negatively on your claims. Always include information about your past claims and losses (even if you didn’t claim for them), who the regular driver of your vehicle is, and insure your household contents for their full replacement value.
- Don’t forget to check your cover schedule frequently: Make sure that the amount you are insured for is kept up to date, including your personal and cover details. For example, your household contents’ replacement value might change with time.
- Meet your cover conditions: In some cases, your insurance might need you to meet certain cover conditions, like completing a vehicle pre-inspection or meeting minimum household security requirements within a certain amount of time from your insurance cover starting date.
- Keep your assets in good condition: Remember that insurance does not cover damage that is caused by lack of maintenance or wear and tear. So keep those gutters clear, keep your roof and geyser in a good condition, and replace tyres before they’re worn.
- Give all information correctly when you claim: Provide your insurance with as much information about the event as possible when you start a claim to avoid unnecessary processing delays.