My Puppy Has Fleas! What Do I Do?

My Puppy Has Fleas! What Do I Do?

Keep your puppy safe and flea free.

Puppy has fleas

Welcoming an adorable new puppy into your home and family is a special time in life. You certainly want to make sure that your puppy is welcomed into a clean, safe and flea-free home where all your loved ones can be happy and healthy.

Marianna Rossouw, Business Unit Head: PETS, Merial South Africa – the specialists in tick and flea products, recommends these simple steps to keep your new puppy – and its home – flea-free.

Treat the environment: Only 5% of fleas in a home live on pets, the other 95% – in the form of eggs, larvae and pupae – live in the house and garden. A single adult female flea can lay up to 45 eggs a day – or 1000 in just 21 days! To prevent an infestation, eradicate fleas in all stages of the flea lifecycle by washing your pets’ bedding regularly and vacuuming carpets, nooks and crannies in your home frequently. It is also crucial that other pets in your home receive regular spot-on or chewable tick and flea treatment such as NEXGARD™.

Treat your puppy’s mother: Before your puppy is born, ensure that its mother is flea and tick free. Ask your veterinarian about using a tick and flea product that is safe for pregnant and lactating dogs. During the lactation period, ensure that the puppy’s mother is on a good quality puppy diet and that she is kept in a warm and sheltered environment with lots of water available to drink.

Treat your puppy in the crucial first 8 weeks: Fleas feed on pets, lowering their circulating blood flow, which can cause your active and playful puppy to become anaemic and lethargic. Getting rid of fleas on young puppies is tricky because their bodies cannot yet handle anti-flea products suitable for dogs over 8 weeks. Fortunately, new puppy parents can safely use veterinary recommended and trusted tick and flea products such as the FRONTLINE® Spray to protect puppies from two days of age up until 8 weeks, and longer. The spray also protects against ticks and helps control sarcoptic mange.

Due to their delicate size and age, manual flea removal is recommended for puppies up to 8 weeks of age. To check for ticks, use your fingers to gently search the puppy’s body, feeling all along the coat for any little lumps. Pay particular attention to the areas around the ears, along the limbs and on the belly.

Treat your puppy regularly: Once your new puppy has settled in, continue your tick and flea protection plan. This includes frequent, thorough cleaning and checking for ticks and fleas often, as well as regular tick and flea treatment. Before applying a tick and flea product, always determine the body weight and age of your pet and make sure you apply the product following strictly the registered application guidelines. If you are unsure, please ask your veterinarian to assist you.

For more information about animal health and advice, please visit or call their friendly helpline 0860 MERIAL (0860 637 425).

Read more articles about pets here. 

Joni van der Merwe

About Joni van der Merwe

Your Family’s Digital editor. Avid retweeter. When I’m not scrolling Instagram you’ll find me in my garden. Keen on DIY and I don’t believe there’s anything that can’t be fixed with some chalk paint.


Send this to a friend