It’s that time of year again where we aren’t exactly sure why we’re celebrating Black Friday in South Africa but we’re definitely not complaining about all the deals!
This year Black Friday is on the 24th of November and these are the best Black Friday deals we could find…
What is Black Friday?
Black Friday started in the USA and is celebrated the day after Thanksgiving (Friday). It marks the unofficial start of the holiday shopping season and almost all stores in the USA have huge sales to attract customers. People queue for hours to get their hands on bargains. It’s basically the sale of the year!
Why Black Friday specifically?
The black portion of the name relates to business. In business you traditionally record a loss in red ink and a gain in black ink. Store owners can make huge profits on this day with the numbers of people that flock to see what’s on special.
Why are we celebrating it in South Africa?
It’s a trend that most notable days and international holidays sooner or later become our own, like Halloween for example. The Black Friday trend has really picked up in South Africa over the last few years, mainly because everyone is interested in getting their hands on those Black Friday deals!
Here are our tips for shopping Black Friday deals on the 24th of November:
- Know what you want. As with any sale, it can be extremely tempting to purchase everything that’s on sale but the reality is that you can’t afford it. Have a list of items you need/ want to splurge on and stick to those. Especially when it comes to shopping online – it’s way too easy to hit that ‘add to cart’ button!
- Know your stuff. Don’t get caught up in the Black Friday hype. You’ve got time; search the items you want to purchase and know their prices. That way you’ll know exactly how much you’re saving come sale day and whether it’s worth it or not. Avoiding spontaneous purchases and having compared prices beforehand is the key to ACTUALLY saving on Black Friday.
- Set your alarm. If you’re shopping online set your alarm clock for midnight on Thursday the 23rd of November and if you’re heading in-store be ready to be in the queue by 6am in most stores (check Black Friday business hours with the retailer beforehand).
So who has the best Black Friday deals in South Africa?
- Takealot.com usually run specials across their ENTIRE site! That means Black Friday deals across all categories. That’s why they’re at the top of our list. However they have moved away from the name Black Friday and their sale is called the Blue Dot Sale. This sale runs for 5 days and you can shop from the comfort of your own home.
- Checkers has hinted that they will have Black Friday specials in-store. We REALLY hope this includes stationery. What’s even more exciting is that you could win a Black Friday experience where you can beat the queues, shop from home and they give you a R5000 voucher! Click here to enter their competition.
- If last year is anything to go by – Makro will have some pretty sweet Black Friday deals. Last year saw deals like 40% off appliances, 43% off hi-tech, 25% off Christmas tree decor, 25% off clothes and more. For more information (you apparently need to register to shop these deals) click here.
- Zando is doing pretty much the same thing – sign up to their newsletter at the bottom of their home page to be alerted of any Black Friday deals.
- CNA has a selection of Black Friday deals that you can already view here.
- Edgars has joined the countdown to Black Friday and you can sign up to their newsletter here to get the scoop early!
- Pick n Pay will also have Black Friday deals, although they are very hush hush about what’s going on. We suggest you have a look on their website at midnight on the 23rd or pop into your nearest store at 6am. Last year they had up to 50% off selected items so we’re sure you’ll be tempted by some amazing deals this year too!
- You can sign up here to receive information about Black Friday deals from Wellness Warehouse as well as stand a chance to win a R1500 voucher to spend on the deals online.
- Boardmans is giving you almost 30% off selected items! Click here to shop their Black Friday deals on the 24th.
- The Kid Zone has HUGE Black Friday deals. Some of the items are over 50% off! Sounds like the perfect opportunity to get some early Christmas shopping done if you ask us. Click here to view these deals.
- Don’t forget the pets! ePetstore.co.za is giving you 30% off 1 or more or 20% off 2 identical items on the 24th of November.
- Totalsports is giving you R150 off Puma T-shirts, a free cap when you buy select Converse sneakers or R100 off men’s shorts. Click here to shop these Black Friday deals.
- The Gadget Shop will have lots of Black Friday deals – sign up to their newsletter here to be the first to hear what’s up for grabs!
- Travelstart is having what they call a ‘Black Flyday Flight Sale’ from the 24th – 27th of November. You can sign up to their newsletter here to receive information about these deals as they are released.
- Onedayonly.co.za is also rumoured to have joined the countdown and you can sign up here to stand a chance to win R10 000 to shop!
- Clicks has hinted that they’re bringing us all the specials on the 24th so keep an eye on their event page here.
- Zinio is having a 40% off Black Friday sale on magazine subscriptions!
There seems to be something for everyone looking to strike a deal this year. Happy shopping!