It’s that time of year again where we aren’t exactly sure why we’re celebrating Black Friday in South Africa but we’re definitely not complaining about all the deals!
This year Black Friday is on the 29th of November and these are the best Black Friday deals we could find…
What is Black Friday?
Black Friday started in the USA and is celebrated the day after Thanksgiving (Friday). It marks the unofficial start of the holiday shopping season and almost all stores in the USA have huge sales to attract customers. People queue for hours to get their hands on bargains. It’s basically the sale of the year!
Why Black Friday specifically?
The black portion of the name relates to business. In business you traditionally record a loss in red ink and a gain in black ink. Store owners can make huge profits on this day with the numbers of people that flock to see what’s on special.
Why are we celebrating it in South Africa?
It’s a trend that most notable days and international holidays sooner or later become our own, like Halloween for example. The Black Friday trend has really picked up in South Africa over the last few years, mainly because everyone is interested in getting their hands on those Black Friday deals!
Here are our tips for shopping Black Friday deals on the 29th of November:
- Know what you want. As with any sale, it can be extremely tempting to purchase everything that’s on sale but the reality is that you can’t afford it. Have a list of items you need/ want to splurge on and stick to those. Especially when it comes to shopping online – it’s way too easy to hit that ‘add to cart’ button!
- Know your stuff. Don’t get caught up in the Black Friday hype. You’ve got time; search the items you want to purchase and know their prices. That way you’ll know exactly how much you’re saving come sale day and whether it’s worth it or not. Avoiding spontaneous purchases and having compared prices beforehand is the key to ACTUALLY saving on Black Friday.
- Set your alarm. If you’re shopping online set your alarm clock for midnight on Thursday the 28th of November and if you’re heading in-store be ready to be in the queue by 6am in most stores (check Black Friday business hours with the retailer beforehand).
So who has the best Black Friday deals in South Africa?
- Takealot.com usually run specials across their ENTIRE site! That means Black Friday deals across all categories. That’s why they’re at the top of our list. However, they have moved away from the name Black Friday and their sale is called the Blue Dot Sale. This sale runs for 5 days and you can shop from the comfort of your own home. You can have a look at some of their deals here.
- Keep an eye on the Builders Warehouse Black Friday landing page here.
- Checkers has hinted that they will have Black Friday specials in-store. We REALLY hope this includes stationery. Click here and subscribe to be the first to know when and what exactly Checkers have planned for this Black Friday!
- If last year is anything to go by – Makro will have some pretty sweet Black Friday deals. Last year saw deals like 40% off appliances, 43% off hi-tech, 25% off Christmas tree decor, 25% off clothes and more. For more information on the Makro Black 5 Day Sale (you apparently need to register to shop these deals) click here.
- UCOOK is offering budding home chef’s the chance to cash in on a UCOOK box for a massive 60% off this Black Friday! Simply use the code on the order details tab at check out: #BLACKFRIDAY0193
- Zando is doing pretty much the same thing – sign up to their newsletter to be alerted of any Black Friday deals.
- Pick n Pay have already released some sweet deals online! Last year they had up to 50% off selected items so we’re sure you’ll be tempted by some amazing deals this year too! Click here for the details.
- You can already start shopping fabulous deals as part of the Wellness Warehouse Black November online sale.
- Edgars have joined the Black Friday countdown.Sign up here for the scoop.
- The Kid Zone has HUGE Black Friday deals that are already live. Some of the items are over 50% off! Sounds like the perfect opportunity to get some early Christmas shopping done if you ask us. Click here to view these deals.
- The Gadget Shop also already have will have lots of Black Friday deals running – click here to be the first to start browsing!
- Clicks has hinted that they’re bringing us all the specials so sign up to their newsletter here.
- MR Price is starting Black Friday early so be sure to browse their website from the 25th of November or sign up to their newsletter here.
- Loot already has some great deals on their site. We’re eyeing a couple of the kiddies DVDs!
- Save 50% on a 1-year subscription to Your Family Magazine and get a free digital subscription or get 75% off a 1-year digital subscription on the 29th of November 2019! Phone: 087 405 2005 or email: [email protected] .
There seems to be something for everyone looking to strike a deal this year. Happy shopping!