Making spun sugar might seem tricky, but with our handy how to guide, you will be making beautiful spun sugar nests in no time.
1 cup (250ml) granulated sugar
¼ cup (60ml) corn syrup ¼ cup (60ml) water
1. Cover your kitchen counter with newspaper to catch sugar spills.Lightly grease a rolling pin.
2. Combine the sugar, corn syrup and water in a saucepan over medium-high heat, and stir until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil, without stirring, and cook until golden caramel is reached.
3. Brush sides of the saucepan with cold water to prevent crystals forming. Let the Mixture stand for 1-2 minutes to thicken slightly.
4. Work quickly, not letting the caramel harden, and hold the rolling pin in one hand and a fork in the other.
Dip the fork in the syrup and stir. Shake the fork back and forth over the pin.
5. Continue, removing the strands off the pin regularly, and roll into a ball while still soft. Allow to harden.
Use the nests as a decoration for tarts, cakes and desserts.