Delight Dad with this scrumptious Mediterranean braai bread!
Delight Dad with this scrumptious Mediterranean braai bread by SASKO Top Baker Jenny Morris. Yummy!
SASKO launched its Top Bakers programme in November 2018 as a celebration of top industry, bake-for-profit and enthusiast bakers, as well as the SASKO flour which helps to make their baking so exceptional.
For the Top Bakers Easter Edition, SASKO and celebrity chef, Jenny Morris, paired up to create delectable recipes with an alternative take on traditional favourites.
“At SASKO, we have something for every skill level – bake mixes for mom’s who are time strapped, through to the finest flours used by bakeries that run 24/7, or those who wake up at 2am to feed commuters. Top Bakers is about celebrating these people.” – Le-Anne Engelbrecht
To keep updated on SASKO Top Bakers head to www.sasko.co.za, SASKO’s Facebook page and join the SASKO Top Bakers Facebook group and meet a few of SASKO’s Top Bakers in South Africa.
Jenny Morris’s Mediterranean braai bread
FOR THE BASIC BREAD DOUGH
- 4 cups SASKO Cake Wheat Flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp sugar
- 10 g instant yeast
- 1 tbsp olive oil (sunflower will do)
- 400 ml lukewarm water
FOR THE FILLING
- 8 tbsp sun-dried tomato pesto
- 8 tbsp basil pesto
- 8 tbsp crumbled feta
- 8 tbsp grated mozzarella cheese
- First, place all the dry ingredients into a bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Add the oil and three quarters of the water, and mix to form a soft dough. Add a little more water if needed. If the dough is too wet, add a bit of flour.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface until it is smooth and elastic to the touch; about 15 minutes.
- Place the dough back into the bowl and oil the top; cover with a clean cloth and place it in a warm place to rise to twice its size.
- Once the bread dough has proved, knead it down and divide into 8 portions.
- Flatten with your hands or roll each portion into a thin circle with a rolling pin.
- Spread the sun-dried tomato pesto on the portions, top with feta and grated mozzarella cheese, dot with basil pesto and roll up.
- Dust them with flour.
- Place the prepared bread portions into a braai grid and cook, turning until golden and cooked through. Note: You can also bake them in the oven. Preheat your oven to 200°C. Place onto a baking sheet, let them rise to twice their size. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.