Make the most of the season’s fruit mince pies with these new ideas.
Choc pudding fridge cake
Serves 8-10 | Takes 20 mins + setting
- 300g dark chocolate, chopped
- 100g butter
- 150g golden syrup
- 12 fruit mince pies, chopped
- 80g white chocolate, chopped
- 3-5 glacé cherries
- few mint leaves
- Use a double layer of plastic wrap to line a 500ml pudding bowl, leaving an overhang for easy removal. Heat the dark chocolate, butter and syrup in the microwave for about 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
- Stir the pies through the syrup mixture. Spoon into the prepared bowl, pressing down to flatten the surface. Set in the fridge for at least 2 hours or until firm.
- Turn the pudding out onto a serving plate. Heat the white chocolate in the microwave for about 1 minute 30 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Pour on top of the pudding, allowing it to run down the sides. Add cherries before it sets. Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Add mint before serving.
Baked camembert with compote
Serves 6-8 | Takes 30 mins
Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat 250g blackberries, squeeze lemon juice, squeeze honey and 4 crushed fruit mince pies on medium for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until a chunky sauce forms. Bake 125g Camembert for about 15 minutes or until melted. Top with the compote and a few thyme leaves. Serve with fruit mince pies.
Bombe alaska mince pies
Makes 6 | Takes 35 mins
Beat 3 egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add 180ml castor sugar while beating until stiff and glossy peaks form. Beat in 3ml vanilla essence. Scoop a small ball of vanilla ice cream on top of 6 fruit mince pies. Quickly cover the ice cream with the meringue. Use a blowtorch to brown the meringue. Serve immediately.
Serves 8-12 | Takes 1 hr
Preheat oven to 180°C. Cook 2kg butternut cubes in salted boiling water for about 20 minutes or until soft. Drain and mash. Beat in 60g soft butter, 125ml milk, 125ml brown sugar, 10ml vanilla essence, 3ml salt, pinch ground nutmeg and 3ml ground cinnamon. Spoon into a 23cm x 32cm greased baking dish, smoothing the top. Combine 500ml chopped fruit mince pies, 60g melted butter and 80ml brown sugar and spoon over the butternut mixture. Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden and set.
Individual Christmas puddings
Serves 8 | Takes 30 minutes
Cover 300g chopped mixed dried fruit and 1 cinnamon stick with just enough apple juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer on medium and cook for about 15 minutes or until soft and syrupy. Spoon into 8 glasses. Break 8 fruit mince pies into the glasses and drizzle with 60ml brandy, if you like. Spoon over 250ml custard. Serve topped with 250ml whipped cream and sprinkle with 45ml flaked almonds.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART