Clean up your skincare regime with two natural DIY beauty treatments you can make at home.
If you’re concerned about what you put on your body, your ingredients can be humble household staples that double as deliciously scented and effective beauty treats. Start in the kitchen. You can use yoghurt to cleanse your face, coconut oil to moisturise your whole body and sugar to exfoliate your skin.
Here’s two fabulous recipes for your skin:
Herbal face and body spritz
Fresh mint is the essential ingredient of this refreshing herbal spritz, which is ideal to help cool your skin. Store in the fridge when not in use and use within two days.
- 3 tsp fresh mint
- 1 heaped tsp fresh dill
- 1 t fresh parsley
- 85ml mineral water
1. Make an infusion with the mint, dill and parsley, using just enough boiling water to cover them completely. Leave to steep for around 10 minutes. Then, once brewed, add the mineral water and pour into a sterilised glass bottle with an atomiser spray. Chill before using.
Honey and rose petal face scrub
Honey is one of nature’s best skin treatments. It softens, soothes and protects the skin from moisture loss as well as acting as a lubricant.
- 25g dried rose petals
- 2T dried lavender flowers
- 1 drop lavender essential oil
- 1 drop rose essential oil
- 2t clear honey
1. Make an infusion using half the rose petals and a cup of boiling water. Cover and leave to steep.
2. Using a pestle and mortar, grind the remaining rose petals and the lavender until they’re a powdery consistency. Combine the powdered flowers with the essential oils and honey and add enough rose infusion for the mixture to form a paste.
3. To use, apply to the face and gently rub in a circular motion to exfoliate the skin.