Explore ways to protect this easily neglected area…
Your neck and décolletage – the area comprising your chest and cleavage – can be the first to show signs of ageing, especially when they’ve been ignored during your daily beauty routine! The skin in this area is thinner than on the rest of your body – and is often more exposed to the sun. Many women spend years looking after their faces, only to have their necks give them away. Neglect the area and you’ll end up with fine wrinkling around your breasts, brown spots, thinning skin and redness. So why wouldn’t you protect this feminine, sensual part of your body? Don’t worry though, it’s never too late to start!
Developing your routine
Just as you look after your face and the sensitive skin around your eyes, you should pay extra attention to your neck and décolletage. Incorporate these steps into your routine:
Use a cleanser to remove toxins and reduce inflammation.
Exfoliate once a week, with a delicate exfoliator that won’t cause redness.
After cleansing, use a serum to correct damaged skin. Massage it into the skin, towards the shoulders over the base of the neck, into your breasts and up to your chin.
Use a cream with SPF all over the area, and towards the back of your neck and ears.
Simple rules for youthful skin
- Always, always apply sunscreen to the entire area, from nipples to chin, in addition to your facial sunscreen, of course!
- If you’re not planning on buying specialised products, at least treat your neck and chest exactly as you would your face: apply the same cleansers, toners and moisturisers.
- Products containing retinol, AHAs, pro-xylane, antioxidants and vitamins A and C can smooth and brighten your skin.
- Use a gentle, upward motion when applying your products, so as not to agitate the area.
- Apply the same foundation to your face and the neck area for a more natural, even-toned look.
- Use bronzer on the hollows of your collarbones to enhance them.
- Make sure you incorporate an anti-ageing product into your routine.
- If your skin is sensitive, avoid artificial jewellery, which can cause negative reactions in the skin.
- Try not to crane your neck downwards when reading, or looking at your phone or computer screen. Crunching up your neck will add to your wrinkles. If you notice yourself dropping your neck, lift your chin
and try to keep your ears in line with your shoulders.
- There are a number of exercises to firm the skin around your neck. Start with a simple one: lift your head and look up towards the ceiling. Open and close your mouth. Repeat 10 times a day.
- Use a flatter pillow, which will keep your chin stretched out rather than tucked into your chest.
- Drink at least eight glasses of water a day for firm skin.
Tzvia Hermann from Laser Beautique answers a few questions on this delicate area;
Should I use body or facial products on my neck and décolletage?
This delicate area is considered by skincare professionals as part of the face, and should be treated with your facial products.
At what age should I start using products for the neck and bust area?
An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure! This delicate area is often prone to showing the first signs of ageing. The sooner you start taking care of your neck and décolletage the better. From the age of 25, caring for this area should be a priority.
Can I use products on my neck and bust while breastfeeding?
While breastfeeding, it’s best to confirm that the products used on this area do not contain caffeine and other stimulant-based ingredients. If you do continue to apply product to the area, ensure that the area is thoroughly cleansed before feeding.
How often should you apply products to this area?
Apply your homecare products to the neck and décolletage once or twice daily, after your bath or shower.
COMPILED BY TARYN ARNOTT VAN JAARSVELD PHOTOS: FOTOLIA.COM