There’s been a lot of talk about superfoods. Now meet the superherbs…
Some plants have superpowers that can help us adapt to stress and handle it in a healthy way (rather than making us feel run down and exhausted). These wonders are known as adaptogens. ‘As we look for sustainable sources to help us cope with stress and maintain health, all arrows point to these herbs—and they truly work,’ says Matthew Ballenden, owner and nutritional chef at Fresh Earth Food Store. See Matthew’s mesquite granola recipe below.
Marvellous Mesquite Granola
* This recipe fills a 3L jar
FOR THE PASTE
- 2 cups dates, pitted
- 3 cups filtered water
- 2 cups cashews or Brazil nuts
- ½ cup mesquite powder (available from Freshearth.co.za)
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
FOR THE MIXTURE
- 4 cups mixed seeds and nuts
- 4 cups gluten-free rolled oats or buckwheat, activated and dried
- Soak the dates in the water.
- Blend all the ingredients for the paste until smooth.
- Roughly break up the seeds and nuts – either in a food processor, or chop it up with a chopping knife on your chopping board.
- Add into a bowl and stir well until everything is coated.
- Dry (in a dehydrator) for 12 hours on solid sheets, then dry on mesh trays for a further 36 hours until completely crisp. (If you don’t have a dehydrator, you can dry this in your oven at 35-40⁰C, until dry and crisp).
Ingredients available at Freshearth.co.za