Put a new spin on a popular dessert with this Amarula malva pudding!
- 45 mins
- 250ml sugar
- 1 egg
- 15ml soft butter
- 60ml apricot jam
- 250ml milk
- 10ml vinegar
- 5ml vanilla essence
- 120g cake flour
- 5ml bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt
FOR THE SAUCE
- 80ml butter
- 80ml sugar
- 45ml hot water
- 15ml Amarula liqueur (optional)
- 375ml store-bought custard
- 30ml Amarula liqueur (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease 1 large baking dish or 6 x 1 cup (250ml) ovenproof bowls.
- Beat the sugar, egg, butter and jam together until pale and creamy. Add the milk, vinegar and vanilla
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt, and mix through the egg mixture. Pour into the prepared baking dish/bowls, cover with lightly oiled foil, and bake for about 45 minutes until firm.
- For the sauce, combine the butter, sugar, water and Amarula in a saucepan over low heat for 5 minutes
until the sugar has dissolved. Pour over the pudding/s as soon as they come out of the oven.
- Mix the custard and Amarula together and serve hot or cold with the pudding/s.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER PHOTO ROELENE PRINSLOO
Magazine issue date: Mar, 2012