These delicious apple cinnamon rusks are proof that homemade is best.
- 1 hr 15 mins + drying
- Makes about 45
- 500g packet self-raising flour
- 1kg granola
- 125ml brown sugar
- 375ml All Bran flakes
- 500ml dried apples, chopped
- 3ml salt
- 15ml baking powder
- 20ml ground cinnamon
- 160ml mixed seeds (like sunflower and linseeds)
- 2 eggs
- 500ml buttermilk
- 125ml sunflower oil
- 2 Granny Smith apples, grated
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 27cm x 35cm oven dish with butter. Mix all the dry ingredients together and make a well in the centre.
- Combine the wet ingredients and stir into the dry ingredients until a dough is formed. Spoon into the prepared pan and press evenly. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until a testing skewer comes out clean. Cool in the pan.
- Turn out and slice into 9cm long x 2cm wide pieces. Pack on wire racks. Dry out at 80°C for about 8 hours, or overnight. Store in an airtight container.
COMPILED BY MARGIE ELS-BURGER PHOTO: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: August, 2019