This vegan-friendly avo cake is moist and chocolatey and the coulis contains no food colouring.
- 45 mins + cooling
- 750ml cake flour
- 80ml cocoa powder
- 10ml baking powder
- 10ml bicarbonate of soda
- 3ml salt
- 60ml avocado oil
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 500ml water
- 30ml white vinegar
- 15ml vanilla essence
- 500ml sugar
FOR THE COULIS
- 2 avocados
- 45ml lemon juice
- 250ml icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and flour 2 x 23cm cake tins. Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, bicarb and salt.
- Beat together the oil, avo, water, vinegar and vanilla. Stir in sugar. Stir into the dry ingredients until just combined. Divide between cake pans. Bake for about 30 minutes or until a testing skewer comes out clean. Cool in the pans.
- For the coulis, blitz avo and lemon juice until smooth. Stir in icing sugar until smooth.
- Ice the cakes together with a layer of icing and top with remaining icing. Decorate with flowers, if you like.
Health fact: Avocados contain about twice as much potassium as bananas. Potassium plays an important role in muscle strength, nerve function and heart health.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: November, 2018