This avo, lime and cucumber cold soup with ‘croutons’ combines the best of hot and cold, and silky smooth and crispy.
- 30 mins
FOR THE SOUP
- 2 avocados, peeled and pitted
- ½ cucumber
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 30ml tahini (optional)
- 5ml ground cumin
- handful coriander, chopped + extra
- 375ml vegetable stock + extra
FOR THE AVO ‘CROUTONS’
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 60ml cake flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 160ml panko or plain dry breadcrumbs
- sunflower oil, for deep-frying
- For the soup, blitz together all the ingredients until smooth. Thin out with extra stock to your liking. Season.
- For the croutons, cover the avo in seasoned cake flour. Working in batches, dip in egg and then in breadcrumbs to coat. Deep-fry in batches in hot oil for about 1 minute or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve with soup and extra coriander scattered over.
Health fact: Avocados contain heart-healthy monounsaturated fat, which helps boost good (HDL) cholesterol and lower bad (LDL) cholesterol.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: Nov, 2018