If you like coconut ice then you'll LOVE this baked coconut ice!
- 1hr + cooling
- Makes 16
- 200g strawberries, hulled
- 125ml strawberry jam
- 875ml desiccated coconut
- 385g tin condensed milk
- 60ml milk
- 5ml vanilla essence
- 4 egg whites
- pinch salt
- 80ml castor sugar
- Preheat oven to 160˚C. Line a 23cm square tin with baking paper. Remove the strawberry leaves by cutting it out in a ‘V’ (this will create heart shapes when cut). Cut the strawberries vertically into 3 or 4 slices.
- Combine the coconut with the condensed milk. Divide between two bowls, stir jam mixture into one and milk and vanilla into the other.
- Beat the egg whites and salt to stiff peaks. Slowly add 60ml of the sugar while beating until glossy. Fold ½ of the meringue into each of the coconut mixtures.
- Spread the strawberry mixture in the prepared tin until level. Bake for 10 minutes. Carefully spread the white coconut layer on top. Top with the strawberry slices. Sprinkle remaining 20ml sugar on top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until pale golden and just set. Cool. Cut into squares. Store in an airtight container.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTO: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: February, 2020