Make your own basic meringues for high tea treats and to decorate cakes.
- 1 hr 30 mins
- Makes about 50
- 4 egg whites
- 250ml castor sugar
- 30ml cornflour
- 10ml white vinegar
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 110°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar, while beating, until the mixture is glossy. Add the cornflour and vinegar and continue beating for 3 minutes.
- Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm round nozzle. Pipe about 3cm dollops onto prepared trays. Bake for about 1 hour or until they dry and can be lifted off the paper. Cool. Store in airtight containers.
- Colour the meringue according to your preference with different food colourings.
- Use different nozzles like open or closed star nozzles and pipe into different sizes (adjust baking time accordingly).
- Brush vertical streaks of food colouring (one or more colours) in a piping bag before filling with the meringue for a streaky effect.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: October, 2017