This bbq chicken flattie is marinated and basted with home-made barbecue sauce and delicious on the braai.
- 1 hr 20 mins + marinating
- 1 whole chicken
- 15ml smoked or plain paprika
- 60ml sweet molasses
- 30ml Worcestershire sauce
- 180ml tomato purée
- 15ml garlic powder
- 60ml smooth mustard
- Using kitchen scissors, cut down both sides of the backbone to remove it. Flip the chicken over skin side up and use the palm of your hand to press down on the centre and flatten.
- Combine remaining ingredients. Season. Cover the chicken in the sauce and marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Scrape the sauce from the chicken (reserve for basting) and pat dry with paper towels. Place the chicken skin side up on the grid and close with the lid, if you have one, or cover the top of the chicken with foil. Braai on medium coals for about 30 minutes. Turn over and braai for about 30 minutes or until cooked. Season. Baste with the reserved sauce during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
Blackened potatoes: Cover potatoes individually in foil and place directly on hot coals. Cook for about 1 hour, turning regularly until soft on the inside (the skins will be black, giving a delicious smoky flavour). Cut in half lengthways, season flesh and serve with dollops of sour cream and a sprinkling of chives. (Don’t eat the skins.)
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
The coals are ready when you can hold your hands 15cm above them for about 5 seconds.
Magazine issue date: September, 2018