These beef tikkas are delicious with rotis and coriander – well worth the hours of marinating!
- 40 mins + marinating
FOR THE BEEF
- 800g rump steak, cubed
- 3cm ginger, finely grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- juice of 1 lemon
- 5ml cumin seeds
- 5ml fennel seeds
- olive oil, for frying
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 60ml yoghurt
- 5ml garam masala
- handful coriander + extra
- rotis, to serve
- For the beef, combine all the ingredients. Season. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Fry the cumin seeds and fennel seeds on medium-high for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Heat the oil on medium-high and fry the onion until golden brown.
- Blitz the onions, cumin and fennel, yoghurt, garam masala and coriander until smooth. Pour the sauce over the beef and toss through until covered.
- Skewer the beef cubes onto 6 skewers. Grill on medium-high for 5 minutes on each side or until done to your liking.
- Serve with rotis and extra coriander.
FEATURE: VICKIE DE BEER ASSISTED BY JULIA VAN MAARSEVEEN PHOTOS: LEE SCHWAGELE
Magazine issue date: June, 2017