These beef wellington bites are very moreish!
- 1 hr + marinating
- 500g beef steak (like sirloin or rump), cut into 6 thick strips
- 30ml olive oil
- 30ml soy sauce + extra
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 egg
- 15ml milk
- 400g cheese and herb puff pastry
- 80ml sweet chilli sauce
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Marinate the beef in half the oil, soy sauce and garlic for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the rest of the oil on high and sear the beef for about 5 minutes or until browned all over. Season. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the onion to the same pan and fry for 5 minutes until soft.
- Beat the egg and milk together, and brush it over the pastry. Cut in half lengthways, then cut each half into 3 squares. Place a beef strip on the side of each square, leaving a 1cm border. Top with onion and 5ml dollops of sweet chilli sauce. Fold pastry over steak and pinch the edges to seal. Brush with remaining egg. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Mix a splash of extra soy and remaining sweet chilli sauce together and serve with the beef Wellington bites.
Magazine issue date: November, 2016