Make this beer-battered fish for your next date-night!
- 20 mins
- sunflower oil, for deep-frying
- 250g cake flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 250ml beer or soda water
- 600g hake fillets, boneless and skinless
- lemon wedges, to serve
- chips, to serve
- Heat oil in a large pot or deep-fat fryer to 190°C.
- Place the cake flour in a medium bowl. Make a well in the centre, add the egg and beer or soda and
whisk to a smooth batter. Add extra beer or soda if the batter is too thick.
- Dip the hake into the batter, making sure the fish is well covered. Deep-fry the fish in batches for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Drain on paper towel. Serve with lemon and chips.
FEATURE: VICKIE DE BEER ASSISTED BY RACHAEL KRUYER AND INGE BARTSCH PHOTOS: LEE SCHWAGELE
Magazine issue date: August, 2016