This recipe for beer-battered fish with onion rings includes the most perfect, thin crispy batter.
- 40 mins
- Serves 4-6
- 375ml cake flour
- 8ml salt
- 8ml paprika
- 4-6 firm white fish fillets, bones removed
- 1 onion, cut into rings
- 375ml beer
- sunflower oil, for deep-frying
- 750ml mixed shredded
- cabbage with carrots
- 250ml mayonnaise + extra
- lemon wedges
- Sift together flour, salt and paprika. Dust the fish and onions in the flour. Shake off excess. Measure out
250ml of the flour mixture and stir in beer to make a thin batter.
- Heat enough oil for deep-frying on medium-high. Dip the fish in batches into the batter, allowing excess
to drip off, and deep-fry for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Repeat with onion rings and fry for about 3 minutes.
- Combine the cabbage and mayonnaise. Serve with the fish, extra mayo and lemon wedges.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: June, 2018