Add an earthy goodness of veggies made dessert with this Beetroot and Avo Chocolate Mousse.
- 1 hr 15 mins
FOR THE WHITE CHOCOLATE BEETROOT MOUSSE
- 100g beetroot, washed and trimmed
- 125ml cream
- 100g white chocolate, melted
- 15ml icing sugar
FOR THE DARK CHOCOLATE AVO MOUSSE
- 3 medium ripe avocados, mashed
- 100g dark chocolate, melted
- 15ml vanilla essence
- 60ml honey
- 125ml icing sugar
- 60ml cocoa powder shortbread cookies, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C. For the beetroot mousse, place the beetroot in a roasting tin and add a little water. Cover with foil and roast for about 40 minutes until tender. Leave to cool to room temperature then rub off the skins (use kitchen gloves if you don’t want to stain your hands). Purée the beetroot in a food processor with 30ml of the cream until smooth.
- Stir the chocolate through the beetroot purée . Beat the remaining cream until stiff peaks form and fold into the beetroot mixture. Add icing sugar to taste.
- For the avo mousse, stir the avo into the chocolate. Stir in the vanilla and honey. Sift over the icing sugar and cocoa and fold in until smooth.
- Spoon layers of the beetroot mousse and avo mousse into 4-6 serving glasses. Serve with shortbread.
ALSO, TRY THESE DELICIOUS AND HEALTHY VEGGIE DESSERTS.
Use piping bags fitted with 1cm round nozzles to pipe the mousses into serving glasses if you prefer neater layers.
Magazine issue date: September, 2015