Try these beetroot foldovers for a healthy, gluten-free snack.
- 1 hr + cooling
- Serves 6 as a snack
- 2 beetroots
- 45ml Danish feta or goat’s cheese
- 4 pitted medjool dates, finely chopped
- 30ml plain yoghurt
- squeeze lemon juice
- 45ml sunflower seeds
- balsamic reduction, to drizzle
- baby herbs, to garnish
- Cook the beetroot in salted, boiling water for about 45 minutes, until tender. Drain under cold water until cool enough to handle. Slice the beet as thinly as possible (a mandolin works best). Place on paper towels to absorb excess moisture.
- Combine the cheese, dates, yoghurt, lemon juice and sunflower seeds. Scoop teaspoonsful onto the beetroot slices and fold over. Drizzle over balsamic and scatter with herbs.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: July, 2019