Celebrate proudly South African flavours with this biltong and mealie chowder.
- 45 mins
- olive or avocado oil, for frying
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 whole mealies, kernels cut off
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 60ml peppadews, chopped + extra
- 8ml smoked or plain paprika
- 250ml biltong, thinly sliced + extra
- 750ml chicken stock
- 375ml milk
- 250ml mature Cheddar, grated
- 2 spring onions, chopped + extra
- squeeze lemon juice
- Heat a splash of oil on high and sauté the onion. Stir in the garlic, mealies, potato, peppadews, paprika and biltong. Season. Add stock, cover and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are soft.
- Blitz ½ of the soup until chunky. Return with the milk and Cheddar, and cook for about 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted and slightly thickened.
- Stir in the spring onions and lemon. Season. Spoon into bowls and top with extra peppadews, biltong and spring onions.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: January, 2019