Serve this boere chicken pie as a scrumptious lunch or dinner.
- 1 hr
- 500ml chicken stock
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2kg chicken breasts, without skin and bones
- 200g ham, cut into 1cm cubes
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 250g mushrooms, quartered
- handful parsley, chopped
FOR THE SAUCE
- 250g butter
- 250ml cake flour
- 500ml reserved chicken stock
- 500ml milk
- 250ml sour cream
- 400g roll puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Bring the stock and garlic to a boil. Season and add the chicken. Poach for about 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Remove chicken and reserve stock for the sauce.
- Cut chicken into smaller pieces. Combine the chicken, ham, onions, mushrooms and parsley. Season.
- For the sauce, melt the butter on medium, add the flour and stir for 1 minute. Slowly add the chicken stock (from poaching), the milk and the sour cream, stirring until smooth. Season and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir through the chicken mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into a 23cm x 32cm pie dish and cool slightly. Top with the pastry and cut a cross in the middle for steam to escape. Brush with the egg. Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: ANDREA CALDWELL
Cut leaves out of an extra roll of puff pastry to decorate, if you like.
Magazine issue date: September, 2016