This braai pie is a trendy twist on classic ‘braaibroodjies’.
- 35 mins
FOR THE BASIL OIL
- 125ml basil
- pinch garlic powder
- 125ml olive or avocado oil + extra
- 30ml lemon juice
- 3ml castor sugar
FOR THE PIE
- 2 x 400g packets puff pastry, defrosted
- 250ml Cheddar, grated
- 250ml mozzarella, grated
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 60ml peppadews (optional)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 125ml chutney
- For the basil oil, blanch the basil in boiling water for 10 seconds. Refresh in cold water. Drain and blitz with the remaining ingredients. Season. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
- For the pie, roll out one of the pastries and top with the cheeses, leaving a 2cm border. Top with the tomatoes, peppadews (if using) and onion. Spread the chutney on the second pastry and place (chutney side down) on the filling. Press the pastry sides together with a fork to close.
- Brush both sides with extra oil. Place on a braai grid and close gently without latching. Cook over medium-hot coals for about 20 minutes, turning regularly, until golden brown and cooked. Serve with the dressing.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: Dec, 2017