You’ll be amazed at the flavour in this easy brandy cheese fondue soup.
- 30 mins
- 15ml olive or avocado oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 250g mushrooms, chopped
- 750ml chicken or vegetable stock + extra
- 125ml cream + extra
- 150g mature cheddar, grated
- 60ml brandy
- handful thyme, leaves picked
- chunky bread, to serve
- Heat a splash of oil in a saucepan on medium and sauté the onion, garlic, celery and chilli. Season. Bring the potatoes, mushrooms and stock to a boil for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until cooked.
- Stir through the cream, cheddar and brandy until melted. Blitz until smooth and thin out with extra stock to your liking. Season. Serve drizzled with extra cream, thyme and bread.
Whisky candied bacon: Combine 80ml light brown sugar, 30ml whisky, pinch cayenne pepper and 250g streaky bacon. Place the bacon pieces on a wire rack over a lined baking tray. Bake at 180°C for about 25 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cool. Dice and serve sprinkled over the soup.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: Jun, 2019