Celebrate the new year with bubbly, raspberries and sparklers - all combined in one beautiful cupcake!
- Takes 1 hr + cooling
- Makes 13
FOR THE BATTER
- 120g soft butter
- pinch salt
- 5ml vanilla essence
- 180ml sugar
- 2 eggs
- 430ml self-raising flour
- 60ml milk
- 60ml sparkling wine
FOR THE FILLING
- 180ml raspberry jam
- squeeze lemon juice
FOR THE ICING
- 250g soft butter
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 160g raspberries, mashed
- 30ml sparkling wine
- few drops each red and purple food colouring
- 160g raspberries, to decorate
- For the batter, preheat oven to 180°C. Line 13 holes of standard cupcake pans with paper cases.
- Beat the butter, salt, vanilla and sugar until light and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition until combined.
- Add the flour and milk, alternating into the butter mixture until just combined. Mix through the sparkling wine. Spoon into cases until half full.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool on wire racks.
- For the filling, combine the ingredients. Use a cupcake corer or teaspoon to take 8ml cake out of the middle of each cupcake. Fill with the jam mixture and replace the cupcake lids.
- For the icing, beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Beat in the raspberries and sparkling wine. Colour with food colouring until your desired shade. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm star nozzle.
- Create icing roses by piping onto the cupcakes anti-clockwise. Top each with 3 raspberries and a sparkler, if you like.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER AND NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTO: ANDREA CALDWELL
Magazine issue date: Jan, 2017