Add a little haute cuisine to your menu with this delicious vegetarian Caramelised Garlic and Goat's Cheese Tart.
- 1 hr and 15 mins
- 400g puff pastry, thawed
- 3 medium heads of garlic, cloves separated and peeled
- 15ml olive or avocado oil
- 5ml balsamic vinegar
- 250ml water
- 10ml sugar
- 5ml rosemary, leaves chopped
- 5ml thyme, chopped
- 200g goat’s cheese, sliced
- 2 eggs
- 100ml cream
- 100ml crème fraîche
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 28cm diameter pie dish with the pastry. Keep in the fridge until needed.
- Cook the garlic in a saucepan with boiling water on medium high for 3 minutes. Drain and return the cloves to the saucepan. Add the oil and fry on high while stirring for about 3 minutes until golden. Add the vinegar and 250ml water. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix in the sugar, rosemary and thyme. Season. Simmer for another 10 minutes or until it becomes syrupy and the sauce coats the garlic. Set aside.
- Place the goat’s cheese slices on the bottom of the tart shell then pour over the garlic mixture. Whisk together the eggs, cream and crème fraîche. Season and pour into the tart shell. Bake for about 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
Magazine issue date: August, 2015