Make these Caramelised Onion and Mushroom Tartlets as an appetiser or starter.
- 45 mins
- olive or avocado oil, for cooking
- 45ml (3T) butter
- 1 onion, thickly sliced
- 6 black mushrooms
- 400g roll puff pastry, thawed
- 125ml (½ cup) Mozzarella cheese, grated
FOR THE EGG WASH
- 1 egg yolk
- 15ml (1T) water
- handful rocket
- Heat the butter and a splash of oil on medium and fry the onion for about 20 minutes until caramelised, stirring occasionally. Season and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place the mushrooms on a baking tray and drizzle with oil. Bake for 7 minutes. Drain off all the excess moisture.
- Cut the pastry into 6 equal rectangles. Place on a greased baking tray. Use the back of a knife to make a lightly indented 1cm border around each rectangle.
- Spoon a tablespoonful of caramelised onion (keeping some for serving) onto each of the pastries. Place a mushroom on top of each and sprinkle with cheese.
- For the egg wash, mix the yolk and water together and brush over each pastry border. Bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown and puffed.
- Serve with remaining caramelised onions and top with rocket.
Magazine issue date: October, 2015