These Caramelised Onion and Tomato Tartlets are so easy to make for unexpected guests.
- 45 mins
- 100g butter
- 2 large onions, sliced into rings
- 100ml brown sugar
- 45ml red wine vinegar
- 1 roll ready-made puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved
- basil, to garnish
- Heat the butter, onion and sugar on medium, covered, for about 10 minutes until light golden. Add the vinegar and simmer until reduced and translucent. Allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Roll the puff pastry out on a floured surface and cut out 8 squares. Brush with egg.
- Pierce rows of holes into the centre of each square with a fork, leaving a 1cm border. Divide the caramelised onion between the square centres and top with tomatoes. Season.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until golden and puffed. Serve warm with basil.
Magazine issue date: June, 2015