Try this meat-free and moreish Cauliflower Cheese Bake for a family lunch or dinner.
- 50 mins
- olive or avocado oil, for frying
- 1 small cauliflower, cut into florets
- 15ml cumin seeds
- 100g butter, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 125ml cake flour
- 1L milk
- 30ml wholegrain mustard
- 180ml finely grated Pecorino cheese
- 300g pasta screws, cooked
- handful sage, chopped
- 100g Cheddar cheese, grated
- baby herbs (like rocket), to sprinkle (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a 2L ovenproof dish or individual ones. Heat a splash of oil on medium high and fry the cauliflower in batches until golden. Add the cumin and fry for 1 minute. Season and keep aside.
- Melt the butter on medium and sauté the onion. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk until combined. Whisk continuously until the mixture boils and thickens. Take off the heat and stir in the mustard and Pecorino cheese. Season. Add the cauliflower, pasta and sage.
- Spoon into the prepared dish (or dishes). Sprinkle the Cheddar over and bake for about 10-15 minutes until melted. Sprinkle with baby herbs before serving.
Creamy or tomato-based sauces are most commonly used to mix through baked pastas to keep them from drying out.
Magazine issue date: May, 2014