Serve these Chargrilled Mealies with Chipotle Butter as snack when you host braais and gatherings.
- 20 mins
- 150g butter
- 10ml smoked paprika
- 3ml dried chipotle flakes or chilli flakes
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 6 to 8 chargilled mealies. to serve
- Blits 150g butter with 10ml smaoked paprika, 3ml dried chipotle flakes or chilli flakes.
- Add zest of 1 lime and 1 crushed garlic clove. Season. Serve with 6-8 mealies.
CHORIZO AND MEALIE OMELETTE
- Fill omelettes with meealie kernels crumbled goat’s cheese, sliced and fried chorizo sausages and chopped chives.
- Saute 1 chopped onion and 1 crushed garlic clove. Add 4 cups mealie kernels and 500ml vegetable stock and cook for about 10 minutes or until tender. Blitz and thin out with 125ml-250ml cream to your liking. Season. Serve topped with crispy diced bacon and sour cream.
- Mix 1 chopped avocado with a handful halved cherry tomatoes, 125ml mealie kernels, 1 crushed garlic clove and a handful chopped coriander. Season. Serve with nachos chips.
- Saute 6 sliced spring onions and 2 crushed garlic cloves. Stir in 230g cream cheese until melted. Add 2x 410g tins drained corn kernels. Season. Sprinkle with 125ml grated Cheddar. Bake at 180⁰C for about 30 minutes or until cooked.
- Combine 1 beaten egg, 250ml cake flour, 15ml water, 5ml baking powder and 410g tin creamed corn. Season. Heat a splash of oil over medium heat and fry tablespoonfuls of batter for 1-2 minues each side or unttil cooked
CHICKEN AND MEALIE CUPS
- Fill butter lettuce with mealie kernels, thinly sliced celery, thinly sliced smoked chicken, crumbled feta, lemon segments and finely chopped chilli. Season and serve with salad dressing.
- Drizzle giant white corn kernels with vegetable oil. Season and roast for about 30 minutes at 200⁰C, stirring occassionally, until golden. Drain on kitchen towel and sprinkle with Cajun spice.
Magazine issue date: Jan, 2016