These cheesecake stuffed doughnuts are made with a yeast dough, but are baked instead of being deep-fried in the traditional way.
- 1 hr + rising
- Makes about 8
FOR THE DOUGHNUTS
- 60ml warm water
- 5ml vanilla essence
- ½ x 10g packet instant dry yeast
- 2 egg yolks
- 45ml sugar
- 280ml cake flour
- pinch salt
- 30ml butter, at room temperature
- 30ml cream
FOR THE CHEESECAKE FILLING
- 230g tub cream cheese, at room temperature
- 60ml cream
- 80ml icing sugar + extra
- zest of 1 lemon
- For the doughnuts, combine the water, vanilla, yeast, yolks and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Gradually add the flour and salt until combined. Add the butter and cream and beat for about 5 minutes until a smooth, sticky dough forms.
- Turn the dough out into a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave to rise for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- For the filling, beat together all the ingredients until light and fluffy. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a long filling tip.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to 1cm thickness. Cut into 7.5cm circles. Place on a baking paper lined tray, leaving rising space in between. Cover with greased plastic wrap and set aside for about 30 minutes to rise until puffy.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Bake the doughnuts on the top rack for 8-10 minutes or until golden and cooked. Cool slightly.
- Dust in extra icing sugar. Insert the tip of the cream cheese filling’s nozzle on top of a doughnut and squeeze to fill. Repeat with the rest. Spoon dollops of the remaining icing on top. Serve immediately.
- Stuff with Nutella, firm custard or jam of your choice.
- Brush with melted butter and coat in cinnamon sugar or brush with warm honey.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: Jun, 2018