This cheesy beef and macaroni casserole is rich and creamy.
- 1 hr 10
- 500g macaroni
- 15ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1kg beef mince
- 2 x 400g tins whole peeled tomatoes
- handful parsley, chopped + extra
FOR THE SAUCE
- 30ml butter
- 45ml cake flour
- 375ml milk
- 200g mozzarella, grated
- 50g Parmesan, finely grated
- Cook the macaroni in salted boiling water until just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil on medium-high and sauté the onion and garlic. Add the red pepper and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the mince in batches and break up with a fork. Fry for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Add the tomatoes and press them fine with a fork. Season. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix the mince with the macaroni and parsley in a large casserole dish.
- For the sauce, melt the butter on medium-high. Whisk in the flour until well combined. Add the milk while whisking, bring to a boil then simmer for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce is thickened. Remove from heat and add 150g of the mozzarella and the Parmesan. Stir until the cheese is completely melted.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Pour the sauce evenly over the casserole. Top with remaining mozzarella and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Top with extra parsley to serve.
FEATURE: VICKIE DE BEER ASSISTED BY JULIA VAN MAARSEVEEN AND INGE BARTSCH PHOTOS: LEE SCHWAGELE
Magazine issue date: September, 2016